A hallway is usually the space that is entered from the front door and which provides access to the bedrooms, living room, kitchen and bathroom. Many homes in the UK have internal staircase which makes the home look stylish. As this is usually the first thing people see when they walk through your front door, you need to keep it clean and tidy. Some hallways also contain storage cupboards and shelves to accommodate shoes, coats and other belongings. We will look into more details how to keep your hallway area clean and welcoming for your guests.
Cleaning the hallway
- One place where dust gathers is on the walls, skirting boards and banisters. Dust all skirting boards and ledges to remove dust entirely.
- Cleaning the front door and the interior doors together with their frames is essential as they also gather dust and dirt. Use a damp cloth or if the dirt persists, use a detergent suitable for the material your doors are made of. Clean the door handles and knob and the door bell.
- Clean and polish picture frames and photographs hanged on the walls.
- Remove cobwebs from corners.
- A lot of dirt comes out of the shoes and you need to clean the shelves where they stay on.
- Vacuum the floor including the carpeted area and the door mat. Treat with a suitable carpet spot remover any stains you may have on the carpet.
- Mop the uncarpeted areas with floor liquid diluted in water. If your floor is made of real wood, you may prefer to use wood floor cleaner instead.
- Replace these light bulbs which don't work.
Cleaning the staircase
- Although the stairs look beautiful, they are a bit of a pain to clean as their surface isn't flat, but you rather have to clean each step with the attachments of the vacuum cleaner. To clean the staircases always start from the top.
- On a daily basis you can sweep any visible dirt and mud which may spread around as you walk up and down the stairs.
- Use a damp cloth to clean the banisters and the space between them.
- Clean thoroughly in corners and where the steps met. If necessary use a detergent to get a dirt out.
- Vacuum clean each step of your staircase starting from the top and regardless of whether it is carpeted or not. Vacuum the corners and the sides. Whatever vacuum cleaner you use, use the attachments for stairs and upholstery to vacuum the stairs perfectly.
- If the staircase needs mopping after you have finished with the vacuuming, use a suitable floor cleaner and mop as normal.
- Once you have reached the bottom step, you should see a difference when you look up the stairs. Your staircase will be clean and fresh and so your entire home. Ask everyone who enters your home to remove their shoes by the front door as walking on the stairs with shoes will make it harder for you to maintain the staircase clean.
These hallway cleaning tips should help you clean the entrance area of your home and you should know it shouldn't be neglected as this makes the first impression for your home.