Some houses have it all. Everything is exactly placed, painted, planted, and perfect. Driving through the neighborhood, you see that house and wish yours had as much style. Here's the good news: It can! Home improvement is not as difficult as it may seem. There are several small touches that can make your home look like that perfect house on the corner without breaking the bank or your back.
- Tidy up outside. Rake leaves, put garden tools in their proper locations, pull weeds, and clean any spills or stains on your driveway. The exterior and front yard of your house provide that all-important first impression to visitors and drivers-by.
- Take care of the siding of your house. You can do this without professional service. Sweep and hose the walls, working from top to bottom. A long brush with stiff bristles adds shine with water and detergent (but make sure the detergent is non-phosphate!). If your siding is in good condition, you can rent a high pressure washer to do the dirty work for you. If your house is painted, make sure you spot test any pressure washer on a corner of the house before using it; otherwise you may end up doing more home improvement than you originally planned!
- Take care of your lawn and garden. Regularly rake leaves, take care of the edging, remove pesky weeds, and water and cut your grass. Prune shrubs and trees to avoid looking unkempt. Well-done landscaping will unify your lawn and garden and contribute to a clean, neat look. Take advantage of seasonal sales in you home improvement center for low cost shrubbery, rose bushes, or any other perennials which will brighten up your landscaping. I advocate for perennials over annuals because you only have to plant them once. If you're on a budget, this is a wise choice.
- Add creative and eye-catching visual touches to your front yard. Well-kept fences, arbors, fountains, and elegant stone or brick pathways to the door are just a few examples of the way you can spruce up your front yard. Again, sign up on your local home improvement center's mailing list in order to get flyers for specials in your mail.
- Install some stylish lights outside. Classy outdoor lighting gives you sophisticated and practical style for both daytime and night. Very popular right now are solar powered lights which come in several different styles, including whimsical animals. Decorative garden light that won't run up your electric bill!
- Don’t overdo anything. If your garden has every known flower in America, it will only look cluttered and off-balance. The same goes for outdoor accessories, lighting, and landscaping. Your house should look like a home, not a fun house! However, if you like that kind of decorating, you can go crazy during the holidays. Halloween and Christmas are the perfect holidays to outdo everyone on the block in lights and decorations for the yard-so buy that 8 foot plastic snowman, after all, it's your house!