Top Tips on How to Clean a Mattress
Mattresses absorb dust although they are covered most of the time with linen. On an average, we spend about eight hours a day on the mattress which makes it dirty although the dirt might not be visible. Because of their sizes, it is difficult to get mattresses cleaned, but there are some secrets which exist on how you can clean them effectively yourself.
How to clean a mattress?
1. Remove any linen and mattress protectors and use the vacuum cleaner to vacuum the mattress thoroughly. Vacuuming also helps reduce the amount of dust mites which live into the mattress.
2. With the help of an upholstery cleaners and a cloth, you can rub any marks and stains which are visible on the surface of the mattress.
3. Rinse the stain and the cleaning detergent with a warm water and clean cloth or a towel and let it dry. Do not use too much water as it may lead to the development of mould into the mattress foam which will be difficult to be cleaned and there will be a nasty smell coming out of it.
4. To speed up the process of drying in order to use the mattress right away, you can use a hair dryer.
Alternatively the professional cleaning companies offer mattress cleaning which you can benefit from.
General advice how to maintain your mattress clean:
1. Use a mattress protector to keep your mattress clean and stains free. Washing it on a regular basis is a god idea as it accumulates dust and dirt from the human body. For best results wash it on the same day as your bed linen and it might be useful to have a spare one in case it hasn't dried until it is time to use it.
2. Vacuum the mattress regularly. Most of the vacuum cleaners have an attachment to clean upholstery. Doing this once a week will reduce the amount of dust significantly.
3. Do not bring food and drinks in the bed to prevent any spillages which can lead to unpleasant stains and smell.
Mattresses are essential part of our home furniture and like anything else, they need to be cleaned regularly for a better sleep and lifestyle.