Carpet Cleaning Slough Berkshire SL1 SL2 SL3
Our carpet cleaning Slough at a glance
- Hot Water Extraction
- Dry Carpet Cleaning
- Rug Cleaning
- Mattress Cleaning
- Scotchguard and Stain Protection
- Spot and Stain Romoval
Our carpet and upholstery cleaning experts in Slough, Berkshire SL1, SL2 and SL3 use powerful carpet cleaning equipment manufactured by the industry leaders Alltec™, Prochem™, Rotovac™, HOST® and Kleenrite™.
All our carpet cleaners have been trained in the art of carpet and upholstery care by the NCCA. The National Carpet Cleaners Association is the only independent UK trade body solely dedicated to the craft of carpet, upholstery, and other soft furnishings cleaning. We are proud members No.1871 of the association.
Our carpet cleaning services include: hot water extraction, dry carpet and upholstery cleaning, HOST® dry carpet cleaning, rotary shampoo, bonnet buffing, dry curtain cleaning in situ, stain removal techniques, rug and mattress cleaning, ScotchGuard™ treatment, Stainshield™ protection.
The good news is that our carpet cleaning services are available in Slough, Berkshire SL1, SL2 and SL3 postcode areas with the added benefit of our company guarantee: If you are not entirely happy with the carpet cleaning, we will come back and complete the task to your full satisfaction.
For more information click our carpet cleaning page or call free on 020 7099 6964. SAVE TIME! Booking the job with us only takes 5 minutes.
DID YOU KNOW THAT...
Most of the area was traditionally part of Buckinghamshire and formed over many years by the amalgamation of villages along the Great West Road between London and Bath and Bristol. The first recorded uses of the name occur as Slo in 1196, Sloo in 1336, and Le Slowe, Slowe or Slow in 1437. The name may have derived from the various sloughs (wetland) in the area; although some people think it may refer instead to Sloe bushes growing in the vicinty. Pubs and Coaching Inns grew up along the Great West Road to service the traffic between London and the West. Most people in the area lived in the joint parish of Upton and Chalvey, termed Upton-cum-Chalvey.
Montem Mound, located in Chalvey, is an ancient monument, its date of origin is not known. Eton College held its 'Eton Montem' ceremonies here until 1844.
The Domesday Survey of 1086, refers to Upton, and a wood for 200 pigs, worth £15. Upton, with its Norman Church, was situated at the top of the slope from the river terrace - the various levels in the area having been formed in the Ice-Age.
In 1196, one Henry de Slough is mentioned in a Pipe Roll - the earliest documentary reference found to Slough.
During the 13th Century, King Henry III had a palace in Cippenham, the spot is still marked on modern maps as "Cippenham Moat".
St Laurence's Church in Upton is around 900 years old, it is the oldest building in Slough. Parts of Upton Court were built in 1325, while St Mary's Church in Langley was probably built in the late 11th or early 12th century, though it has been re-built and enlarged several times.
The astronomer William Herschel (1738 - 1822), and his sister Caroline, produced the first true map of the universe with a 40 foot long, 49 inch reflecting telescope he built in his garden in Windsor Road, Slough. A monument in Windsor Road commemorates his achievement. William married and is buried in St Laurence's Church, Slough. It is also believed that Joseph Haydn also visited Slough and met Herschel during his time there. According to one account, Haydn asked the esteemed astronomer for his opinion on the Biblical story of the seven days of Creation. Herschel's answer is unknown, but - so the story goes - Haydn went back to his lodgings and began to compose his famous oratorio The Creation.
The arrival of the railway in Slough in 1840 led to Queen Victoria making her first ever railway journey, from Slough station to Bishop's Bridge near Paddington, in 1842. In later years, a railway spur would be built from Slough Station to Windsor Central for the Queen's greater convenience.
On January 1, 1845, John Tawell, who had recently returned from Australia, murdered his lover, Sarah Hart, at Salt Hill in Slough by poisoning her with prussic acid. With various officials in chase, Tawell fled to Slough Station and boarded a train to Paddington. Fortunately, the electrical telegraph had recently been installed and so a message was sent ahead to Paddington with Tawell's details. Tawell was trailed and subsequently arrested, tried and executed for the murder at Aylesbury on March 28, 1845. This is believed to be the first time ever that the telegraph had been involved in the apprehension of a murderer.
In 1858, Charles Dickens rented a cottage on Church Street, under the name of Charles Tringham. This was most likely to be closer to his alleged mistress, Ellen Ternan. Dickens' second link to the town was his publisher, Richard Bentley, proprietor of the publishing firm 'Bentley's'.
In 1863 Slough became a local government area for the first time, when a Slough Local Board of Health was elected to represent what is now the central part of the modern Borough. This part of Upton-cum-Chalvey Parish became an urban sanitary district in 1875 and an Urban District Council area in 1894.
The Grand Junction Canal spur arrived in 1882, and, during the mid to late 1800s, the arrival of the large-scale brickmaking industry into Langley and the area north of the Great West Road, saw dramatic growth northwards encroaching on the very south of the parish of Stoke Poges. This new development saw the population centre of the town move northwards and the name Slough suppressed Upton-cum-Chalvey. The part of that parish not originally included in the Slough Urban District was incorporated in 1900.
The Church of England ecclesiastical parish of Upton-cum-Chalvey still exists, however, and includes the parish churches of St Laurence and St Mary. St Laurence's church recently installed an impressive set of stained-glass windows commemorating the work of Sir William Herschel, and remains an important historical building. Dating from Norman times, several walls bear testament to 'pudding-stone' construction, and overlooks Upton Court - now the administrative home of the Slough Observer newspaper - famously said to be haunted by a young woman in a blood-stained nightdress.
Slough has 4 Grade II listed milestones.
An area of boggy ground to the west of Slough was used to store huge numbers of motor vehicles coming back from the First World War in Flanders. Local engineering companies sprung up to service this ready resource, and, in the early 1920s, these companies formed the Slough Trading Estate, one of the first such Industrial Estates in the world. Spectacular growth and employment ensued, with Slough attracting workers from many parts of the UK and abroad. Large housing estates were formed to cater for these workers and their families, notably Manor Park and Cippenham. During the Great depression of the 1930s, the town became a haven for unemployed Welsh people, who walked up the Great West Road looking for employment.
There was a major extension of the Slough Urban District in 1930. The local government district expanded westward. The town was divided into wards for the first time; which were the new areas of Burnham, Farnham and Stoke as well as the divisions of the old district Central, Chalvey, Langley and Upton.
In 1938 the town received its first Royal charter and became a Municipal Borough. See List of Mayors of Slough which starts with the Charter Mayor in 1938, who became the first elected Mayor in November 1938.
After the Second World War, several further large housing developments arose to take large numbers of people migrating from war-damaged London, notably Britwell, Wexham Court and Langley. In the post-war years, immigrants from the Commonwealth, notably Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, India and Pakistan were attracted to the town, settling predominantly in Chalvey.
In the early 1950s there were a number of Polish refugee camps scattered around the Slough area. As returning back to Poland was not an option (being under Soviet occuption), many Polish families decided to settle in Slough. Slough was an expanding town, seeking committed workers and offering a chance to own homes for those prepared to work hard.
In the early 1970s the main A4 road was routed onto Wellington Street, north of and parallel to the High Street. This re-routing allowed the building of a major shopping complex, Queensmere, between the High Street and Wellington Street.
Slough was incorporated into Berkshire in the 1974 local government reorganisation. The old Municipal Borough was abolished and replaced by a Non-metropolitan district authority, which was made a Borough by the towns second Royal charter. The parishes of Britwell and Wexham Court became part of Slough at this time.
Slough Council made history by electing the country's first black female mayor, Lydia Simmons, in 1984.
On April 1, 1995, the Borough of Slough expanded slightly into Buckinghamshire and Surrey, to take in Colnbrook and Poyle.
Slough became a unitary authority on April 1, 1998, with the abolition of Berkshire County Council and the 1973-1998 Borough. The present unitary authority was created a Borough by the towns third Royal charter.
Famous people associated with Slough
Henry III (Monarch)
Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall (Royal Aristocrat)
Thomas Gray (English Poet, Classical Scholar, and Professor of History)
William Herschel (Astronomer and Composer)
Caroline Herschel (Astronomer)
John Herschel (Mathematician and Astronomer)
Isambard Kingdom Brunel (Engineer)
Charles Dickens (Novelist)
Ellen Ternan (Actress)
Richard Bentley ('Bentley's', the publishing firm)
William Ramsay (Scientist)
Robert Watson-Watt (Scientist)
Forrest Mars Sr. (Entrepreneur)
Fenner Brockway (Anti-War Activist and Politician)
Gerry Anderson (Broadcaster)
Rod Evans (Original lead Singer of Deep Purple)
Una Stubbs (Actress)
Tracy Ullman (Entertainer)
Helen Sharman (Scientist and Astronaut)
Jimmy Carr (Entertainer)
Iain Lee (Entertainer)
Geri Halliwell (Entertainer)
Claire Bray (Actress/Song Writer)
Carpet cleaners Slough Carpet cleaning Services Slough Berkshire