The 3 Most Important Green Laundry Tips
Same as the cleaning, laundry is an endless task in every household. All the towels, bed linen and clothes we wear need to be washed, dried and ironed regularly. The thing is as soon as you finish with one load, it is time to wash the already accumulated laundry. Our life is so dependent on the washing machine as it is one of the most used appliance at home. There are some practical green laundry tips which will help you save energy, detergents and efforts.
Water and Energy Saving Tips
A washing machine uses a large amount of water and electricity, but there is a way to cut these.
- Wait until you have enough laundry for a full load instead of running empty loads.
- If you have do emergency washing with just few items, set your water level accordingly.
- Do not overfill the washing machine, in order to get your laundry clean, they need to have sufficient space inside.
- To save some energy, do the washing with hot water, but do the rinsing with cold water.
Drying the Laundry
Instead of using a dryer to dry your laundry, you can do it the old-fashioned way. Hanging your washed clothes outdoors will save you energy and the garments will last longer. If the weather doesn't permit, you can hang them on a drying rack indoors which may be beneficial for your indoor air to be humidified by the wet laundry. Drying white garments and linens on a direct sunlight will make them whiter and there is no need to use any whitening agents which is another benefit to dry your laundry outdoors.
Green Products in The Laundry Room
- Baking soda works good in the laundry rooms same as in the kitchen. Adding a bit of baking soda when doing the laundry will make your clothes soft, will remove any remaining stains which are difficult to be removed with hard water and will absorb bad odour from shoes and garments. It is harmless to the environment and to the skin which is another reason for you to use it.
- Salt, vinegar and lemon juice also could be used to remove stains and to whiten your laundry. Prepare a mixture in a spray bottle and use on the visible stains before you put the garment for washing. Vinegar same as the baking soda has the ability to soften the clothes. Add one cup of vinegar to the rinsing cycle instead of a conditioner and you will feel the softness of your garments once you wear them.
- For some garments, you probably use bleach to make them whiter, but there is a greener alternative to the bleach and it is the lemon juice. Squeeze the juice from one lemon and add hot water to prepare an efficient mixture for the garments which require whitening. Soak them in the lemon solution for about an hour and then place the garments together with the lemon mixture in the washing machine and wash as normal.
These green laundry tips will give you an idea how you can save on products and energy and be friendly to the environment when doing your laundry.