Office cleaning - first impression counts
Have you ever walked into an office and it looked like it was hit by a hurricane? When I was publishing one of my books, I was asked to come to their office about my book to discuss the plans and expectations of the book. It was a well-known company and known for their accomplishments. When I got there, the office was a mess! I said to myself Wooh!
A person who has a messy office can definitely scare new clients away. Remember the first impression is the most important impression. Would you want a professional to work for you whose desk is piled with papers and looks completely disorganized to work on your account? I wouldn’t.
When your office is clean and organized, people get a good impression of you and it is much easier to work more efficiently. Spending more time searching for things than actually working is no way to succeed.
Clean the pile of paper clutter
Piles of paper and folders cover your desk and perhaps even the floor. It can be very difficult to find what you need when you need it most. Moreover, clients do not admire it either. If you have paper clutter:
- Schedule a time of the day when you are not usually business and go through your papers. Do not keep saying I will do it tomorrow. By tomorrow, the pile will be twice as big.
- Start with the papers on the floor and start putting them away properly. Keep a file cabinet with alphabetical binders. You can pick them up at any office store.
- Next work on the papers on your desk. File them also and only keep the papers you are currently working on the desk.
- Make sure all files have all the proper documents in it.
- If you have scraps of papers with notes on them, combine all notes and write onto one page, start a notebook or temporally put them in a message box (a box with the word list as messages on the outside).
It takes work
Keeping your office clean will take time and work to make sure things don't get out of hand.
- Make a weekly clean up schedule.
- At the end of each day, leave your office clean.
- File all papers as soon as you are done with them.
In addition, if you are too busy to clean the remainder of the office then it may be time to dish out a few dollars and have a cleaning team come in and clean the rest of the office. It will pay off in the long run.